Unsure on which Work From Home product to choose? Use this guide to help decide.
In an effort to maintain productivity and maximize flexibility as the University responds to COVID-19, OU IT has extended the VMware Horizon Virtual Desktop service (VDI) to tri-campus Faculty and Staff.
VDI delivers a CLEAN desktop with secure, encrypted access to network services. VDI does NOT duplicate your on-campus desktop computer. Files stored locally on your on-campus computer are not accessible via VDI.
Accessing VDI via the Client:
- To begin, navigate to https://mydesknor.ou.edu/.
- You should have two options, a standalone installer and an option for HTML access. Select the option for “Install VMWare Horizon Client”.
- You will now be linked to the VMWare download website. Select the “Go to Downloads” link for your operating system.
- Next click the Download button for your download. Once downloaded, click to launch the installer.
- When the installer file launches, you will be prompted to agree to the privacy agreement and license terms. Select to Agree.
- The installer will now load the installer package. Click to drag the application to the Applications folder.
- When the install completes, you may now find the application “VMWare Horizon Client” in the Applications folder.
- Upon launching the application, you may be prompted for your Admin username and password. Hit Continue and enter your computer’s admin credentials, then hit Ok.
- You may receive an alert prompt that the Security Extension has been blocked. Click Open Security Preferences.
- At the bottom of the Security & Privacy window, click the Allow option.
- At the “Enter the name of the Connection Server” prompt, enter mydesknor.ou.edu
- If you already have an existing connection, click the New Server option and then enter the server address above.
- You will now be prompted to enter your OUNet username and password. Enter this in and then click Login.
- You will be prompted for Duo Push on your device using the Duo mobile app.
*Note: If you are not enrolled in Duo, please visit this article to learn more and sign up: Norman Duo
- The desktop window will now load for your instance.